Mindful of the duties and responsibilities assigned to staff when working in the school environment, it is vital that staff and pupils are treated equally and fairly. In this context, access to phones should be limited to urgency only.
- Calls to parents/guardians should be kept as short as possible and never within school hours. Where a lengthy conversation with parents/guardians is required, appointments should be made to meet parents.
- Where contact must be made with a parent during school hours (child is sick/has fallen/must go home), Karina will make the call.
- For calls to other professionals and organisations and in case of confidential calls to parents the Principal should be consulted and classroom supervision may be arranged where appropriate by the Principal.
- Personal calls and texts should be carried out during break times only (10:20 – 10:40 and 12:00 – 12:20)
- In cases of urgency, a staff member must consult with the Principal and classroom supervision may be arranged where appropriate by the Principal.
- Incoming personal calls should be reserved for urgent matters and should come through the office.
- Staff mobile phones may be used during lunchtimes only –
(10:20 – 10:40 and 12:00 – 12:20) and never during teaching times.
- Texting should follow the rules in relation to calls.
- All phones must be on silent during teacher / pupil contact times.
- Children are not allowed to bring mobile phones to school.
- In the case of emergencies, children who carry phones are required to have the standard letter signed by parent /guardian and pupil. This letter should be given to the teacher who must upload and record on Aladdin.
- Children are required to turn mobile phones off during school time – from 8.30 – 2.10. If the phone is not switched off, it will be confiscated and given to the Principal.
- Visitors to the school must adhere to the above policy.