The need for the school to devise a child collection policy is to:
- Clearly outline the collection procedures to the school community.
- To devise an easy to follow signing in and out system within the school.
- To ensure that each teacher has an up to date rolla at all times.
Relationship to Characteristic Spirit of the School
NETNS strives to provide a safe and secure environment for the school community as far as it is practicable and where respect is fostered in a culture which values diversity and difference. This policy was formulated with our 4 main principles in mind.
- That no child is unaccounted for at any time.
- That each teacher has an up to date rolla.
- That the school community is aware of the appropriate collection procedures.
- School opens at 8:50am and closes at 14:30pm (REVISE).
- All children should line up for 8:50 in the designated areas in the school yard.
- School responsibility commences at 8:50.
- School ends at 13:30 for infants. At departure, responsibility for the care of infant children is passed to the parent/designated adult.
- Infants and younger siblings should avoid the main playground area at departure time and should refrain from climbing on the bars.
- The care of children from 1st to 6th classes ceases to be the responsibility of the school at the end of the school day. Children should have clear instructions from parents/guardians as to collection point (eg. Assembly point) or class line. Everybody is expected to exit the school grounds promptly. If there is a delay in a child being collected, they should return to the school and inform the class teacher/office/principal.
- Any children attending extra curricular activities must safely assemble in the designated area for said activity. Children should have clear instructions from parents/guardians as to collection point (eg. Assembly point) or class line. If there is a delay in a child being collected, they should return to the school and inform the activity’s supervisor.
- Dangerous play/inappropriate behaviour in the area of NETNS and or NRFC is not allowed.
- Adherence to the school traffic plan is essential.
- Children and adults should be aware of traffic in the area at all times.
- Parents/guardians should provide and update emergency contact numbers.
- Emergency closing: Parents/guardians should note that the Board of Management might not be in a position to allow children into the school building/playground because of an unforeseen emergency. Parents will be informed of these closures through text a parent/radio/correspondence.
- Parent/guardian will fill on an individual collection rota for their child at the beginning of each academic year. In the event that there is a change to these arrangements, parent/guardian will inform the school in writing where possible.
- Ensuring a safe child-friendly school.
- Providing a well organized and safe signing in and out procedure.
- Ensuring all staff have up to date rollas.
- That all children and staff are accounted for at all times.
- Children are encouraged to take responsibility for their own safety and the safety of those around them.
Roles and Responsibility
Child collections and drop offs place particular responsibility on various personnel within the school chain of command –
- Positive school community communication
- Co-operation between all parties to ensure the safety of children and staff.
- A responsibility of community members to adopt and apply this policy.
Timeframe for Implementation
The policy will be implemented from March 2008 and will be reviewed during the school year 2010/2011.
Responsibility for Review
This policy will be reviewed no later than 2010 by staff members and parents. Any changes made will then be ratified by the Board of Management.
Ratification and Communication
The policy has been in operation in the school since March 2008 having been communicated by the BOM by means of circular following ratification at school BOM meeting of February 2008.